Thursday, 15 October 2009

The Blights

This may be the oldest photo in the family archive. The woman's hat looks decidedly Edwardian to me - sometime between 1905 and 1910? But I have not yet identified the individuals in the photograph.

My Great Grandfather, Edwin Oratio Blight - I only ever knew him as a very old man. He was born in 1889, died in the mid 70s.

This little family group includes my Great Grandmother, Mahala Blight (nee Finch) sitting on left, and my grandad - on the floor in front. You can se my Great Grandfather's car in the background. This must have been taken around 1930.

Another family shot - my great grandfather's in this one - far right. I haven't identified the guy with the dog - or the dog for that matter.

Wedding - lot's of people here who need to be identified:

Deepest Cornwall.

The Sleeps married into the family about 70 years Grandmother - Betty - was born a Sleep.

Richard born in 1701, Agnes in 1707.

Their only recorded child was George born in 1735.
George’s wife was born in 1740.
Their kids were born – Elizabeth 1758, Anne 1773, and George in 1777.

George met Margaret Inch born in 1780 and had a son called Richard, born in 1802.

Richard married Elizabeth Forden, born in 1806. They had loads of kids. Elizabeth in 1831, Mary in 1834, Richard in 1837, William in 1840, Ellilinda in 1842, but Elizabeth died in 1850.

Richard married again, this time to Mary Harris. No kids this time, but then Mary must have been 53, and Richard was 48.

Richard met Emma Andrews, and kids – Florence in 1872, Thomas in 1877, Emma in 1879.

Thomas married Maud Basset. Ralph was born in c.1910, Cyril c.1910, Tom c.1912, Richard, c.1915, Robert c.1916, Edward c. 1920., and Betty in 1921.

Betty married Ronald Edward Gardiner.

This Is The Modern World

In the 1901 census – William James Gardiner aged 11, John H. aged 8, with their parents John James (41) and Ellen Elizabeth (36).

John and Ellen Gardiner in 1901 lived at 3 Alvington Street, Plymouth. John, a gas stoker (40), Ellen (36), kids Lizzie (13), Fred (7), Edwin (5), Earnest (3).

The Grandchildren continued

“Aunt Suze” – date unknown
1902 – Gladys Mary ann
1903 - Gwendolyn Winifred
1905 – Irene Gertrude & Edith
1907 – Wilfred James Henry.

By now the early grandchildren were getting married and having kids of their own!

However, now we’re going to concentrate on just two of the lines coming down from James and Mary Ann.

First, John James, and Ellen Elizabeth.
They had 10 kids.
Not all lived – John M. died in 1897, aged 4years 9months; Frederick William died in 1889 aged 4 ½ months, Irene Gertrude died in 1905 aged 3months.
The author’s great grandfather became a docker, and at some point a marine (in WW1?). He married a girl from London.
Fred became a boxer.
Mumford, Clive Tregarthen. Fighters of the Old Como, A history of Plymouth Boxing 1907-24, Plymouth, Copycraft (printer) (1975) 200 pp. [11 pages of names in the index and references] [ Lookups]

Edwin was involved with setting up the firm of Yeldon and Gardiner.

The Great War 1914 to 1918 – William James was 24 at the start of the war. His involvement is not known – needs research

James and Elizabeth had four children: Ronald Samuel in 1919, Joyce in 1921, Joane in 1927, Constance (Connie) Jessie in 1923.

Ronald met Betty A.Sleep, the youngest from family of – and whose grandfather was from Cornwall.
War came again in 1939. Ronald wasn’t called up for health reasons but did do war work – what?

pre-war Plymouth city centre

Joyce met Cyril Mannel.

Constance became pregnant during the war – the father’s surname was Walker.

A tragedy in 1944 – air raid shelter – bomb – three generations of women died including the youngest Constance and her unborn baby.

Ronald and Betty’s first child came during the war – Ronald Edward in 1941 (my dad). Betty was evacuated to Somerset to have him.

Two more children, both girls.

Ronald became an apprentice Electrician, like his dad.

Feel free to add to this

The 50s – money in pockets of the young. Elvis

Cars, girlfriends, drink and violence. Teddy boys.

Janet Blight in 1964 (?)
Wedding in 1965 (?)
First son in 1966
First daughter in 1968.

We end for now.

Chapter Three: Arrival at Plymouth 1847

Plymouth had expanded enormously since Tudor times.
Naval power, docks and Foulston
Throughout the 17th century Plymouth had gradually lost its pre-eminence as a trading port. By the mid-1600s commodities manufactured elsewhere in England cost too much to transport to Plymouth and the city had no means of processing sugar or tobacco imports, although it played a relatively small part in the Atlantic slave trade during the early 1700s. In 1690 the first dockyard, Devonport, opened on the banks of the Tamar and further docks were built in 1727, 1762 and 1793. In the 18th century new houses were built near the dock, called Plymouth Dock at the time, and a new town grew up. In 1712 there were 318 men employed and by 1733 it had grown to a population of 3,000 people.
Prior to the latter half of the 18th century grain, timber and then coal were the greatest imports. During this time the real source of wealth and the major employer in the region became the dockyard. The Three Towns of Plymouth, Stonehouse and Devonport enjoyed some prosperity during the late 18th and early 19th century and were enriched by a series of neo-classical urban developments designed by London architect John Foulston. Foulston was responsible for several grand public buildings, many now destroyed, including the Athenaeum, the Theatre Royal and Royal Hotel, and much of Union Street.

During the eighteenth century the wall that had protected Plymouth during the siege fell into disuse. Indeed, it was hampering the expansion of the Town. It was presumably looted steadily by the inhabitants for their own building projects (It may be no coincidence that the first brick-built house with sash windows was built at Breton Side in 1707) until by the middle of the century the gates within the wall were becoming rather pointless. Their narrowness, from the days of pure horse travel, were causing inconvenience to the new wagons that were appearing. A Board of Commissioners was set up to pave, light and watch the Town and amongst the improvements they instituted was the demolition of some of the redundant Town gates. Friary Gate went in 1763, Gascoigne (North) Gate in 1768, and Frankfort (West) Gate in 1783. Martyn's Gate remained within the Town wall but was not removed until 1789.
This encouraged the wealthy merchants to start moving out of Town. In 1776 George Street had been laid out beyond the West Gate as a series of suburban residences. Even when the Theatre Royal was erected at the western end of the Street, people claimed it was foolish as it was outside the Town. But how quickly the houses of the well-to-do crept towards it. With the demolition of the West Gate, Frankfort Street soon followed.

With the removal of the Old Town and Coxside Gates in 1809, the scene was set for growth. R N Worth lists the new streets built between 1793 and 1812 as Tavistock Street (1803), Portland Place, Orchard Place, Park Street (1809), Duke Street, Cornwall Street (1810), York Street (otherwise known as New Town), Richmond Street (1811), Barrack Street (later called Russell Street), Willow Street, Arch Street, Market Alley, Hampton Buildings, Exeter Street, Jubilee Street, Brunswick Terrace (1811), Ladywell Buildings and Lambhay Street.
Also built in this period were Gascoigne Terrace and Portland Square (both in 1811), Cobourg Street, James Street, Union Road (1816), Union Terrace, Queen Street, King Street, Princess Street, the Crescent, St Andrew Terrace, Charles Place, Fareham Place and Woodside. All of these were outside the old Town wall.

Even in those days there were attempts to build what we would today call 'affordable housing' for the poor but the projects all fell by the wayside.
By the early decades of the 19th century, Plymouth Dock was bigger than Plymouth itself and yearned for a separate identity. This it achieved and on January 1st 1824 the Town got its own identity as Devonport. A column was erected in commemoration.
A third town had been growing between Plymouth and the Dock. Called East Stonehouse, it was here that several military establishments were situated and the commercial docks at Millbay were developed.

Presumably it was to share in this prosperity that led James, a stonemason like his dad, to leave home before the age of 20 and secure work in Stonehouse. At 20 he married Mary Ann Sampson from Bickington in 1847. The wedding was in East Stonehouse.
The kids came – Mary Jane in 1848 – the family lived in Stonehouse – an address appeared on some record or other – 1 Queen Anns Place.
1860 map of Stonehouse

But maybe the town was all too much, or the offer of work too good to turn down, as James’ family soon moved to a new development at a fishing village called Oreston – now totally engulfed by the City of Plymouth, then very much on the outskirts of the city & the far side of the Plym estuary.

The only access to Plymouth would have been via a toll bridge built 1824 – 1825 to cross the Laira Estuary.
Railways arrived - South Devon railway opened its line as far as Laira in 1848.
Note - The new breakwater

There were a lot of quarries in the area, so work would not have been a problem for a stone mason. And a huge demand for stone too.

workers at the Oreston Quarries

By 1871 the census records that James was living in Bedford Cottages, Oreston. The kids William Henry on 4th July 1852, Margaret Ann in 1856, Ellen in 1858, John James in 1864, James Sampson in 1861, Emily Elizabeth 1862, and Emma Elizabeth 1869.
In 1871 the family comprised of William (18), a labourer, Margaret (15), a servant, Ellen (13), John James (10), James (7), Bessie (5), Emma L. (2) – all the kids described as “scholars”.

A move to Turnchapel came next. James was now a labourer, and then a Gardener in his 40s. The kids began to leave home. Mary Jane married George Brown in 1875, remained in the area and produced three little Browns – the first of many Grandchildren for James. However, George died in 1880. The cause may be determined by examining the death certificate.

Plymstock Cemetry

In fact James and Mary were to have a phenomenal number of grandchildren: Over 30 in total between 1878 and 1907.

1878 – George A. brown born
1879 – William John Brown (but he died)

William Henry married Mary Ann Edwards in c.1880 She was from a large Oreston family, older than William, and as the census reveals, literally the girl next door. Her father was a seaman, originally from Looe In Cornwall.
William was working as a labourer (and stonemason) and Mary as a servant.

First Boer War
The First Boer War (1880–1881), also known as the "Transvaal War," was a relatively brief conflict in which Boer settlers successfully resisted a British attempt to annex the Transvaal, and re-established an independent republic.`

William H and Mary A had their first kid in 1881: a girl, called Edith Louisa. Margaret Mary followed in 1882, William James in 1884, but died a baby, Florence in 1886 and Frederick in 1888.

1881 – Emma J. and Edith born

In the James Gardiner household – In 1881 only Emma (11) and Bessie (14) were recorded as living at home.
The 1881 census also reveals that James Gardiner’s mother, Mary Gardener, aged 93, still alive in Newton Ferrers. She was a widow by now, having been the mother of Philip Lyndon’s son’s wife, she now lived in the Lyndon household.

1883 – Louisa Margaret
1884 – William James (who died)

Ellen married in 1884 to Elias Williams, but appears to not have had any children.

1885 – Florence

John James, labourer and gas stoker, aged 22, married Ellen Elizabeth Rogers on November 7th 1886, and had 10 kids from 1888 to 1898.
Ellen Elizabeth’s dad was a Quarryman – William Harvey Rogers (also described as labourer and navvy), and Elizabeth, her mother. They came from Brixton in Devon, but had moved to Cattedown at some point, in 1901 recorded as living in “cottage at cattedown”. EE’s siblings included Ernest who was a gas fitter, and Susan, a dressmaker.
The wedding was in Cattedown. Bessie served as a witness to the marriage .
Their children Frederick William, 1889, died aged 4; William James (Great Grandfather of the author), 1890; John, 1892; Irene Gertrude, 1905, who died a baby; Ed – unknown details. There were other as RS Gardiner (son of William James, and grandfather of the author remembers at least four brothers and tweo sisters).

1886 – Elizabeth E.
1888 – Frederick and Florence
1888 - Lizzie
1889 – Ernest & Frederick William

Emma Elizabeth married son of a mariner, John Edwards in 1890.

1890 – John William & Great Grandfather William James
1891 – Elias
1892 – John M.
1894 – Annie & Fred
1896 – Elsie H, Nellie & Ed.
1898 another Nellie & Earnest
1899 – Jessie W.
1900 – Olive Bessie

Emily Elizabeth, affectionately known as “Bessie” married John Wyatt,. A horsedriver, in 1900.

Plymstock Church

The end of the 19th century saw the official expansion of both Plymouth and Devonport with the extension of their boundaries. In 1896 Plymouth absorbed parts of the Compton and Weston Peverel areas.
Then in 1898 Devonport expanded to take in the St Budeaux side of Weston Mill Creek and eventually. Saltash Passage, which until now had been in Cornwall, was transferred into Plymouth and thereby into Devon. Eventually, the Pennycross area of Weston Peverell was also added and Corporation Road near Burleigh traffic lights refers to Devonport Corporation not to Plymouth.
Probably the key to Plymouth's expansion was transport. In 1877 a new station at North Road was opened. Tramways and horse buses linked the Three Towns and also ran northwards via Compton as far as Roborough village. The Embankment, built in 1815, had levelled the road into Plymouth and made travel easier.
In the 1870s and especially the following decade, building went ahead with great pace, much of it, so Worth claims, speculative. The area at Eldad was completed, houses lined new streets at North Road, North Hill and Houndiscombe, the fields around Greenbank and within the Beaumont estate were covered with fine dwellings stretching from Freedom Fields down to Cattedown on the Exeter road.
Over in Devonport, villas had already appeared at Ford, a product of speculation as early as the 1850s. Stoke and the north facing slope of the St Levan valley filled as quickly as any part of neighbouring Plymouth. By the end of the century, Keyham Lake would be filled and houses erected on the opposite hillside around Keyham Barton. This area was already served by the railway, the new Plymouth, Devonport and South Western Junction line from St Budeaux to Devonport.
Plymouth's first street tramway was opened by the Plymouth, Stonehouse and Devonport Tramways Company Ltd in 1872. Their line ran from Derry's Clock in Plymouth, through Union Street and as far as Cumberland Gardens, Devonport. In 1874 this was extended at the Devonport end to run up to Fore Street.

“Some of the greatest imports to Plymouth from the Americas and Europe during the latter half of the 19th century included maize, wheat, barley, sugar cane, guano, sodium nitrate and phosphate. Aside from the dockyard, other industries such as the gas-works, the railways and tramways and a number of small chemical works had begun to develop in the 19th century continuing into the 20th century.” Wikipedia

Chapter Two: Newton Ferrers 1772 – 1847

"NEWTON FERRERS is a pleasant scattered village, on rising ground, at the head of a small creek from the estuary of the Yealm, 7 miles S.E. by E. of Plymouth, and 2 miles from the sea-coast. Its parish contains 778 souls, and 2991 acres of land, extending two miles northward along the east side of the estuary, and including the small hamlet of Torr, and a number of scattered farms. There are oyster-beds in the estuary, belonging to companies in London and Southampton; and a variety of other fish are taken here. The manor of Newton anciently belonged to the Ferrers family, whose co-heiress carried it in marriage to Lord St. John. It afterwards passed to the Bonville, Copleston, Hele, and other families. It now belongs in moieties to H.R. Roe and John Holberton, Esqrs., the latter of whom has a pleasant seat, called Torr House, where his family has resided for many generations. . . . The Church (Holy Cross,) is an ancient structure, with a tower and five bells, and was repaired and new seated about 60 years ago. Near Puslinch House stood the ancient chapel of St. Toly (Olave,) but its remains were removed some years ago. The rectory . . . is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. John Yonge, B.A., . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]

Nicholas became a labourer like his dad, but moved to Newton Ferrers. He married aged 20 to Elizabeth Lee in 1772 and proceeded to have a very large family.
The kids came thick and fast – Elizabeth in 1776; Thomas in 1787, William in 1789, Agnes in 1792, but died at only two months on 31st July 1792. a double tragedy as in 1793 the eldest son, Thomas kicked the bucket at six. James came in July. Jenny in 1799, John William in 1800.

Nicholas’s gravestone refers to another daughter named Jane Treble – the engraving reads that the stone was “erected as a grateful tribute of respect” by Jane.

Nicholas was now aged 48, and presumably Elizabeth who was around a similar age, just ran out of child-bearing years. This may have been a relief. Now she could concentrate on bringing up the young ones, with the older ones around to help. By then the first born, also Elizabeth, was 24 and ready for marrying. But she never did, instead had a couple of kids with a mystery man. In 1800 John William was born, and Eliza in 1802. Elizabeth died in 1802 – some months after giving birth, cause unknown. One can only wonder what happened to the kids…or do some research.

Britain was at war with France from 1803 – it is currently unknown what part, if any, the Gardiner family played in this important conflict.
The Napoleonic Wars were a series of conflicts involving Napoleon's French Empire and changing sets of European allies and opposing coalitions that ran from 1803 to 1815. As a continuation of the wars sparked by the French Revolution of 1789, they revolutionized European armies and played out on an unprecedented scale, mainly due to the application of modern mass conscription. French power rose quickly, conquering most of Europe, but collapsed rapidly after France's disastrous invasion of Russia in 1812. Napoleon's empire ultimately suffered complete military defeat resulting in the restoration of the Bourbon monarchy in France. The wars resulted in the dissolution of the Holy Roman Empire. Meanwhile the Spanish Empire began to unravel as French occupation of Spain weakened Spain's hold over its colonies, providing an opening for nationalist revolutions in Latin America. As a direct result of the Napoleonic wars the British Empire became the foremost world power for the next century.
Bonaparte seized power in France; 18 May 1803, when a renewed declaration of war between Britain and France ended the only period of peace in Europe between 1792 and 1814; and 2 December 1804, when Bonaparte crowned himself Emperor.
The Napoleonic Wars ended following Napoleon's final defeat at Waterloo (18 June 1815) and the Second Treaty of Paris.
Other major events included the Enclosure Acts 1750 to 1860 – research is needed to find out when they affected South Devon.

William had got work as a stonemason. Is this a skilled job? Don’t know. At 24 he felt sufficiently secure to take the responsibility of marriage. He married Mary in Newton Ferrers. At some point the stone masonry may have dried up as he was later described merely as a labourer.
Henry was born in September 1813 meaning that mary was knocked up before the marriage took place, although how far gone is not known.

William born in September 1816; Maria in 1817.

Nicholas, now aged 66, keeled over and died on the 2nd of May 1817. He was buried in Holbeton Church and his gravestone is still there to be seen to this day. Interestingly, although Nicholas died in Newton Ferrers, his body was taken back to Holbeton for burial.

In 1821 William’s sister, Jenny married John Treble, in Newton Ferrers, 02/08. Jenny too was pregnant although she’d had the kid before the wedding, as young John Gosling Treble’s christening took place three days after the wedding.

In 1821 Sarah was born at the end of October but died just two years later. James, the author’s Great Great Grandfather was born in 1827.

James did not stay in Noss/ Newton Ferrers, but a remnant of the family may have. James’s mother didn’t go anywhere, we know. Maria had married into the Lyndon family around 1839 - 41, and that’s where Mary went to live.
Maria had plenty of kids, all of them in Newton Ferrers – Philip born in 1841, William in 1843, Mary in 1847, Samuel in 1849, Emma J in 1854, John, in 1856, Edith in 1860. By then Maria would be 43, so it’s likely she had no more.

Henry, William, and Sarah’s whereabouts remain clouded in mystery, but you can speculate on whether any of these families were affected by the bad times about to come to Noss.

The mid-19th century was a time of tragedy for Noss when an outbreak of cholera swept through the village. Out of a population of just over six hundred more than two hundred were afflicted and at least fifty died of the dreadful disease. The names of seemingly entire families carved on the gravestones at St Peter's are a poignant reminder of this harrowing time.
Major changes came to Noss after 1877, the date of the purchase of Membland estate by Edward Baring, the 1st Lord Revelstoke.

Throughout all these years the River Yealm played a vital role in the life of both Newton and Noss, not only for the fishing industry but also for transport. The appalling state of the roads meant that any journey by land was a mammoth undertaking, encouraging the early provision of a ferry service. Lord Revelstoke had his own 44ft steam pinnace which he kept in a boathouse at Kiln Quay and used to convey his house guests and provisions from Plymouth. In 1898 a railway line was established from Plymouth to Yealmpton, and then a ferry service began which linked the villages with the station at Steerpoint via the steamboat Kitley Belle. By the 1930s the roads had improved and a bus service started, bringing the steamboat era to a close.

Part One – The Gardiners

Chapter One: Rural Idyll
It’s 1685 , in south Devon, near the Erme Estuary.

Richard Gardiner – oldest recorded member of the Gardiner family – was born, we don’t know where, or exactly when. Nothing is known about his family – or any details of Richard’s own life, apart from the year of his birth, the name of the woman he married, and at least some of his children’s names.
One thing is fairly clear, Richard did not come from Holbeton. There are no Gardiners christened in Holbeton before 1700, but plenty after. So did he come from nearby Modbury?

The English Civil war took place in the 1640s. Richard’s grandparents would probably have been children (but not necessarily, they could have been adults) – and quite possibly Richard’s Gt Grandparents would have been involved. Richard may well have been regaled with stories of the two battles that took place in Modbury during the civil War.
Nearby Plymouth had sided with the Parliamentarians and was besieged for almost four years by the Royalists. The last major attack by the Royalist was by Sir Richard Grenville leading thousands of soldiers towards Plymouth, but they were defeated.
The first battle in Modbury was a minor royalist victory on December 9, 1642, when a small Royalist force put to flight a smaller Parliamentarian force. The second Battle of Modbury occurred on February 21, 1643 when the Royalists forces, expecting an attack by Parliamentarian forces assembled at nearby Kingsbridge, had fortified the town. Outnumbered approximately four to one, and running short of ammunition, the royalists retreated. This victory was largely instrumental in the lifting of the Siege of Plymouth, and the driving of the encircling Royalist forces into Cornwall.
The civil war ended as a Parliamentary win, but monarchy was restored by King Charles II in 1649.
Modbury had also been particularly badly affected by the Black Death in the 17th century. The population in the town had been substantially reduced. But by late 1600s it had more or less disappeared, in fact not just locally, but from Europe as a whole
A further event that may have excited the locals was when William of Orange landed at Brixham in 1688, Plymouth became the first town in England to declare support for him. King William rewarded Plymouth for this in 1691 when he authorised work to begin on the first dock over to the west, on the banks of the Hamoaze. As this expanded through the 18th century, so too did the township around it, which was known as Plymouth Dock – eventually, East Stonehouse, where Richard’s Great Great grandson would find work, marry and live as a young man.

So Richard may have been born into relatively good times.
Personal freedoms.
Richard was 19 when he married Joan Hooper , a girl from nearby Modbury. It is likely that Richard was living in Modbury , but Joan was from Holbeton.

Holbeton village is nine miles south east of Plymouth, described in the 19th century as " a large straggling village, on an eminence, set back a little from the beautiful wooded shores of the Erme estuary”, four miles from Modbury, “has in its parish 1120 souls, and 4623 acres of land, extending to Bigbury Bay, and including the hamlets of Mothecombe, Creacombe, and Ford, and many scattered farmhouses, &c. Lime is burnt here, and barges of 70 tons come up the estuary.”
Historically it formed part of Ermington Hundred. Just to the east is an Iron age enclosure or Hill fort known as Holbury

The banks of the Erme are lined with country houses, of which the most notable is Flete, in a large park, formerly the seat of Lord Mildmay.

Richard’s marriage took place in Holbeton on 15th of October 1704 – Joan was about 2 ½ months pregnant at the time.
The first child arrived at the end of April, christened on 2nd of May. Named Richard. Then a daughter, Ann, in early 1706, christened on 25th February.

There’s no record of kids from 1706 to 1709, but another son in 1710, christened on Christmas day in 1710 – named Richard, which suggests that the earlier Richard didn’t live long.
Christmas celebrations invented by the Victorians?
The last recorded child came along in 1713. Henry’s arrival brought about his mother’s demise. Christened Henry on 24th August, though the register reads “Henery”, and his mum was buried the following day on the 25th.

Richard, a widower at age 28, and with several kids, naturally, found a new wife and mother for his kids. Joan Scobel , also from Holbeton, christened 11th June 1691, was 6 years younger than Richard. She became his wife in 1719. Not before they had their first kid together though. Little Joan was born in Modbury, early in 1718 or 1719. Either way, her parents had not yet married. On 27th February she was Christened. The wedding took place in Holbeton on 24th July. Richard was 34. I have no idea what a wedding in 1719 was like, but if it was anything like a modern wedding, the kids would have been there, aged 6, 9, and 13. Joan in her best dress, possibly something with a lot of colours (?), Ann too, in her best clothes, the boys in suits – Sunday best. What other members of the family were there. Joan’s parents – William Shepherd and Agnes Scobel? Richard’s parents who’d have been around 60 by now, at least. Richard may have had siblings. Joan too. Friends?
Other Gardiners are recorded getting married – Samuel Gardiner married Deborah Rosedew in 1745 and Margaret Gardiner married Samuel Harvey – both during the 1700s, in Holbeton .

It looks very much as if Richard and Joan remained in Holbeton after marrying as that’s where all their kids were born/ christened from then on.
Margaret was born in 1725, christened on 30th July in Holbeton
John, in 1728 and Agnes in 1730 or 1731, christened on the 1st of January.
John was brought up with three sisters, one of them nearly a grown up herself.

By 1730 Richard, aged 45, had had at least 8 kids, the oldest of which were grown up.
After all that, he got no time to himself to enjoy his old age (if that was possible in those times) as he died aged 64, on the 27th of May 1749. Still in Holbeton, he was buried in the churchyard.
Young John, working as a labourer, maybe agricultural(?), married 3 months later – was he unable to marry while his father was still alive? On the 31st of August 1749 21 year old John got hitched to Bridget Barnes.

From 1752 till 1762, living in Holbeton, John and Bridget had at least 4 kids. Nicholas, Joseph, Richard and Ann. It can be supposed that these children had a wealth of cousins, uncles and aunts.
In 1762 John’s three sisters Margaret, Agnes, and Joan were in their late 30s – early 40’s and had probably married and had numerous kids.
At least one aunt – Joan – had married in Modbury and was still around in 1792, although by then living in Newton Ferrers. CHECK
John’s half siblings were between 49 and 57 – whereabouts still unknown.